Saturday, March 7, 2009

Defeat and Clafouti aux Cerises

My original plan was to post about a couple of dishes that my 'Oma' used to make. I am the proud child of a working mom, and once a week, my grandmother would cook for us. Which was a blessing for my mom, I am sure, but more so for me. Nobody can cook like my Oma when it comes to 'Schwaebische' cuisine. Alas, my foray into 'Hefeknoepfle' (yeast dumplings) was only about 80% successful, so that post will have to wait.
However, since I anticipated a suboptimal outcome, I thought I'd appease the family with a kick-ass dessert: Quick skip across the French border - Clafouti Aux Cerises.Ingredients:

3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp lemon extract
2 eggs
1 jar of Trader Joe's cherries (I am sure you could use frozen ones)
1 Tbsp butter

Directions:

Stir together flour, sugar and salt. Add milk and butter, stir until smooth. Add eggs. I added them whole but if you were going out of your way to make this extremely awesome, you could beat the egg whites and then fold in just before you add the cherries.
Put the batter in a 9x9 dish that you have buttered. Put the cherries on top.
Bake for 35 or so minutes at 350F until golden and delicious.

The husband at it and loved it. Said it reminded him of something his mom would make. About 20 minutes later, he realized it reminded him of the dessert that came with the TV dinners she would put out for when she was out and his dad had to 'cook'. I thought that was funny. I cannot remember my mother ever serving convenience food. Thanks mom!!!

1 comment:

  1. I have ordered this for dessert a few times when dining out and it was always delicious.

    I read the recipe you posted and thought, "What? That's it?" It's so simple and has basic ingredients. I'm going to make my own soon.

    Do you beat the egg whites into stiff peaks?

    ReplyDelete